Phoenix Learning and Care Group - Oakwood Specialist College
Job title: Residential Support Worker (Oakwood Specialist College)
Type: Permanent - Term Time
Salary: £22,238.40 - £24,900 Per Annum
Are you looking to start a new Career in Social Care?
Oakwood Specialist College looking to create an environment where independence and community inclusion can flourish. We do this by providing opportunities for the young people we support to learn new skills and build on existing skills within their homes and in their local community; everyday life skills that will give them a sense of achievement and increased opportunity for the future.
This is a new role supporting students in residential placements both in the classroom and at home. This is an exciting opportunity to play an instrumental part in the development of our young people as they progress through college life into adulthood achieving their personal and academic goals.
The Daily Routine:
You will be supporting all aspects of the young person's life from personal care needs, life management, social activities and academic support in a college environment. You will develop meaningful relationships with our young people and in time can develop your skills further as a key worker or in education.
You will need to be flexible to cover a variety of shift patterns including days, evenings and weekends. You will be required to complete one sleep in shift per week. There is a rolling rota of 3 days one week and 4 days the next week, with every other weekend off. We will try and be flexible to accommodate personal needs and can also consider part-time hours in excess of 30 per week.
The Right Career?
What is really important is to have a desire to work with children or vulnerable young people with learning disabilities or challenging emotional and behavioural difficulties to make a difference to their lives. Experience in either a personal or previous work capacity is useful but aptitude is key;
- having a positive approach to life,
- being a caring person with an empathetic nature,
- being comfortable with feedback / continuous development,
- resilience and ability to manage your own behaviour and emotions during challenging situations,
- ability to inspire learning and act as a Learning Support Assistant in the College.
We have recently restructured our management team to add a new role of Home Leader alongside senior roles to offer fast-track career development opportunities as well as considerable investment in qualifications and personal development.
Qualifications and requirements:
- You will, ideally, have already achieved an OCF/NVQ Level 2 in Health and Social Care or equivalent or be excited and driven by the prospect of gaining a recognised qualification with full financial and practical support from us.
- You will also complete our in-house Teaching Assistant programme giving you first stage teaching qualifications.
- English and Maths at functional skills level 2 / equivalent or willing to study to achieve this.
- Able to sleep in one night per week
- Must have the ability to understand and implement company policies, and legal expectations, including safeguarding protocols to ensure a safe environment for the people we support.
- Ability to work under own initiative, ask for feedback and continuously reflect and develop.
- A full UK driving license is desirable.
- Employee benefits through Sodexo include High street and Supermarket discounts, free eye testing, holiday, cinema and restaurant meal discounts.
- Employee Assistance programme provided via Health Assured for free counselling and advice for you or family members on life matters e.g. housing, consumer rights etc
- Free Blue Light card (discount from many retailers for NHS, Emergency Services and Social Care workers).
- Career pathways and development/ training opportunities
- Holiday entitlement
- Birthday leave
- Company Pension
- Professional and ongoing personal supervision process to provide you and your line manager with the opportunity to address all aspects of your role and ensure ongoing support, direction and feedback
Successful applicants will be subject to pre-employment checks including an enhanced disclosure and barring service (DBS) check and Covid vaccinations.