Of the top 10 locations, nine were in Exeter
If you want to avoid coming back to your car after parking illegally and finding that dreaded yellow ticket slapped on your windscreen, then the centre of Exeter is to be avoided.
Last year, parking wardens in Devon handed out more than 70,000 fines totalling more than £2m.
In 2019, Devon County Council parking attendants dished out a total of 72,805 fines – the equivalent of 199 per day.
Revenue gained from those parking charges came to a total of £2,373,612.57, equivalent to £6,503.05 a day
The data, obtained through a Freedom of Information request to Devon County Council by the Local Democracy Reporting Service, also revealed which roads were you most likely to be hit with a ticket.
Of the top 10 locations where Parking Charge Notices were issued, nine of them were in centre of Exeter, with the tenth in Newton Abbot.
The top 10 locations i.e. street or car park where Parking Charge Notices have been issued the most by Devon County Council in 2019
- Southernhay East, Exeter
- Southernhay West, Exeter
- Sidwell Street, Exeter
- Musgrave Row, Exeter
- George Street, Exeter
- Queen Street, Newton Abbot
- South Street, Exeter
- Queen Street, Exeter
- Dixs Field, Exeter
- Red Lion Lane, Exeter.
The request also asked for the top 10 reasons why a parking ticket was issued. Top of the list was parking in a restricted street, with exceeding the time allowed and parking without a valid ticket also seeing more than 10,000 offenders caught.
- Parked in a restricted street – 17,049
- Parked for Longer than permitted – 14,907
- Parking without clearly displaying a valid pay and display ticket or voucher – 10,327
- Parked in a residents space without clearly displaying a valid permit – 9,226
- Parked after the expiry of paid for time – 5,787
- Parked in a loading place or bay without loading – 5,778
- Loading in a restricted street – 2,505
- Parked in a disabled parking space without displaying a valid disabled persons badge – 2,015
- Parked in a residents space or shared use space displaying an invalid permit, or after expiry of permitted time – 1,424
- Parked in a permit space or zone without clearly displaying a valid permit – 633