Listen Live

Person taken to hospital after Torquay fire

They have suffered from smoke inhalation in the fire on Hele Road

One person has been taken to hospital after a fire at a flat in Torquay last night [12 August].

Four crews were called to Hele Road just before midnight, following reports of flames within the property.

Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue says everyone inside managed to evacuate the flat, but one person has suffered from smoke inhalation. They have been taken to hospital.

In a statement, they added: "Crews set to work extinguishing the fire within the first floor flat, using two breathing apparatus, one hose reel jet and a thermal imaging camera.

"A further fire appliance from Paignton was also mobilised for a positive pressure ventilation fan, which was used to clear the property of smoke once the fire had been extinguished."

The incident was brought under control at around 1.30am, with the flat said to have sustained severe fire and smoke damage.

More from Local News

Listen Live
On Air Now Colin Slade Playing Baby Baby Amy Grant