Listen Live

Exeter City denied champions spot

Port Vale secure play-off place

Exeter City went into the last game of the season knowing they had a chance of becoming League 2 champions.

A loss for the Grecians would mean they were relying on Forest Green to lose their match.

That plan didn't work in their favour.

Within two minutes of the starting whistle, Sam Stubbs won a free kick on the left wing after a foul by Port Vale's Jamie Practor. Moments later, City's attempt at goal was blocked after Jevani Brown took a left footed shot from the centre of the box having been assisted by Timothee Dieng.

The Grecian's gave a free kick away in the opening fifteen minutes after Offrande Zanzala committed a hand ball. Just minutes later, it was Zanzala who was taking a shot from outside the box, but that was blocked by the Port Vale defence.

In the 27th minute, Port Vale brought Malvind Benning on for Chris Hussey, who was injured. Benning then went on to win a free kick after a foul by Josh Key.

Despite the Grecian's being the better side in terms of statistics - with 17 shots in total, 3 of which were on target and a figure marginally better than Port Vale's 2 on target, it was the away side who scored the only goal of the match, making City's chances of being League 2 champions slimmer.

Minutes from half time, Port Vale's Aaron Martin received a yellow card after bringing Jevani Brown to the floor. In stoppage time, James Wilson received a yellow as did City's Sam Stubbs.

At half time, the score was Exeter 0, Port Vale 1,

Only one change was made at half time to the Exeter squad and that was in the shape of Jonathan Grounds replacing Sam Stubbs because of an injury, despite many thinking Matt Taylor was playing it safe after the centre back received a yellow.

Shortly into the second half, Exeter made their second substitution with Sam Nombe replacing Matt Jay.

The second half was full of pushing and shoving, with both teams desperate to score goals. Port Vale knew that 3 points would secure their place in the play offs.

Twenty minutes from the final whistle, Padraig Amond replaced Offrande Zanzala and shortly later, Port Vale's Aidan Stone was shown a yellow card.

A last minute substitution for Port Vale wasn't enough to get another goal, much to City's relief.

And that's where it stands. After 10 years of being in tier 4 of the English Football League, Exeter City can now go and face Devon rivals Plymouth Argyle in League 1 after not meeting in the same league for two years.

The game ended Exeter 0, Port Vale 1.

More from Exeter City