Listen Live

Exeter housing plans approved

Tuesday, January 14th, 2020 10:20am

By Daniel Clark, Local Democracy Reporting Service

They'll be built at a former quarry and school

Final approval for 440 new homes for Exeter across two separate sites was granted by planners on Monday night.

Exeter City Council’s planning committee backed officer recommendations to approve the details of 380 new homes to be built on the site of the former Pinhoe Quarry at Harrington Lane, and a further 60 homes on the site of the former St Luke’s School off Ringswell Avenue.

Outline permission for the two schemes had already been granted, and on Monday night, matters of detail and design were agreed.

FORMER PINHOE QUARRY

Outline permission had previously been approved for the redevelopment of the former Pinhoe Quarry site for 380 new homes, plus some retail and community space.

Russell Smith, planning agent for the applicants, Galliford Try and LiveWest, told councillors that they have been working closely with officers on the detailed proposals to provide a distinctive and attractive development, and that they aim to deliver more than the 65 required affordable homes on the site.

The proposals also include the creation of public open space, which will include areas of formal lawn, wildflower meadows, designated public realm areas with connections to wider green infrastructure, equipped children’s play areas

There are also new and improved pedestrian and cycle routes through the development would provide strong connections to Pinhoe and the wider area, and a small retail area would be included as part of the development, the meeting was told.

Cllr David Harvey though had concerns about the design of the homes, saying that the flattop buildings would look ‘incongruous.’ He added: “The matters I don’t like have already been decided.”

All councillors other than Cllr Harvey voted in favour of the application being approved.

FORMER ST LUKE’S SCHOOL

Plans for 60 new homes, including 21 affordable homes, for land on the grounds of the former St Luke’s School in Exeter have been approved.

LiveWest’s planning application would see the 60 new homes built on land to the west of Ringswell Avenue.

The site already has full planning consent for 48 homes with an access off Ringswell Avenue, but the new application asked for an additional 12 homes to be built and would also have an access from Ribston Avenue.

Planning consultant Alex Graves told the committee that the previously approved application caused concern about the single point of access, so they revised the scheme and secured a second access. Although more homes are to be delivered on the same site, the number of four bedroom homes has been reduced to enable this to happen, he said, adding: “There are no neighbour objections to the plans, which is rare. This makes best use of brownfield land and provides affordable homes.”

Cllr Rachel Sutton added: “It is welcome that the developers have listened to the concerns that we raised. Those who read the Express and Echo will know that there is a constant below the line comment about residents who cannot afford to buy on the open market, so the fact there is affordable housing in here is to be welcomed.”

The committee approved the reserved matters application.

More from Local News

Listen Live
On Air Now Through The Evening Playing Baby I Love Your Way Big Mountain / Will To Power