It happened at a barn near Exeter
Crews were called to a barn fire near Exeter last night [23 August]
On attendance the officers discovered that 40 tonnes of chicken manure was smouldering in the barn at Clyst St Mary, just after 8pm.
In a statement, Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue said: "The farmer assisted the fire crews by using his loader to remove chicken manure to open air.
"The crew used one horse reel jet to create a fire break to prevent further fire spread."
It added that the local fire station will be re-visiting the area early hours of the morning to check the barn.