Listen Live

Torquay father’s concern as son held by Israeli forces

Friday, 22 May 2026 13:01

By Guy Henderson, local democracy reporter

Elliott Roberts (Image courtesy: Allen Roberts)

Elliott Roberts was skippering a yacht in Gaza aid flotilla

A Devon dad whose son is detained by Israeli forces as part of a flotilla of more than 50 boats carrying aid to Gaza has said he is proud of his son for ‘standing up for what’s right’.

Thirty-two-year-old Elliott Roberts was held in international waters near Cyprus on Monday among more than 400 people taking part in the aid flotilla.

Speaking on Thursday afternoon, his father Allen said he had heard nothing from his son since the incident, in which shots were fired by Israeli commandos. Israel’s foreign ministry says no live rounds were fired.

“He’s just a good kid,” said Mr Roberts. “I am very proud that he has stood up to show what’s right – to say that the way the world’s currently operating is not right, and normal people can do something in a peaceful way that highlights the issues.”

Mr Roberts’ local MP, Torbay Liberal Democrat MP Steve Darling, has written to Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper calling for support for Elliott and other British nationals detained during the incident.

He said: “The flotilla is a peaceful international maritime mission involving doctors, journalists and human rights defenders from over 50 countries. The blockade under which it was intercepted has been described as a violation of international law.”

Mr Roberts said his son was a qualified yacht skipper who normally spends his summers skippering charter yachts for wealthy families around the Mediterranean.

He had responded to a call on social media for people to captain vessels in the flotilla, and was at the helm of a 52-foot yacht at the time it was intercepted.

“Elliot himself isn’t an activist-type person,” said Mr Roberts. “He hasn’t taken part in any of these type of protests previously, but there was a call for captains and Elliot thought that would be a good thing to do.”

On Monday the Global Sumud Flotilla (GSF) was boarded about 250 nautical miles from Gaza, which is under an Israeli maritime blockade. Israel has accused the flotilla of being a ‘provocation’, with the aim of helping the Palestinian armed group Hamas.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu reportedly said Israeli naval forces were doing an ‘outstanding’ job.

The GSF said activists were carrying food and medical supplies for Palestinians in Gaza.

Mr Roberts, a former officer in the Royal Navy who now lives in Torquay, went on: “I have literally heard nothing from Elliot since he was abducted by armed Israelis. We’ve received no information from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.”

He said he understood everyone was put on board a ship and taken to Ashdod in Israel, where they were processed and transferred to a prison. It is thought that they will be deported from the country on aircraft chartered by the Turkish government.

“No-one has been able to provide information about any of the detainees at all in terms of their welfare and well-being,” he added. “There have been some unconfirmed reports that people have suffered broken bones where they’ve been manhandled and bullied around the place.

“My son could be one of them.”

He said he was also concerned at the mental trauma the incident may have caused.

Mr Darling said in his letter that the British government should demand the immediate release of Elliott Roberts and all other British nationals detained, ‘given that they were intercepted in international waters while engaged in a humanitarian mission.”

He added: “The right to provide humanitarian aid and to freedom of movement in international waters are fundamental protections.

“I am deeply concerned by the uncertainty regarding Elliott’s current condition, especially in light of unconfirmed reports that shots were fired during the interception.”

 

Listen Live
On Air Now Music Marathon Playing Kiss From A Rose Seal