Listen Live

Fire service warning about using mirrors near windows

Image: Newton Abbot Fire Station (Facebook)

It comes after crews from Newton Abbot attended a fire in a bedroom on Thursday evening

The fire service is warning people to be careful when using mirrors near windows.

It comes after crews from Newton Abbot attended a fire in a bedroom on Thursday evening, which they say was most likely caused by sunshine reflecting off a mirror onto the curtains.

They were destroyed, with the fire spreading to the wardrobe.

Luckily for the occupants, they had working smoke alarms which raised the alarm, and crews were able to put out the fire quickly.

Just two weeks ago there was a similar incident at a house at Modbury in the South Hams, which was again caused by a mirror and sunshine.

Contact Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue on 0800 05 02 999. Their technicians can offer practical advice on how to keep you and your loved ones safe. If you qualify for a free home safety check they will make the arrangements.

More from Local News

Listen Live
On Air Now Through The Evening Playing Pompeii Bastille