Listen Live

Gas smell is petrol in basement

Fire crews give advice to Tiverton resident

Fire crews called when a Tiverton resident smelled gas coming from her property have given the occupier words of advice after discovering it came from petrol in the basement.

One fire engine from Tiverton station and one from Bampton stations, supported by an environmental protection unit at South Molton headed to Castle Street in the Mid Devon town around 3pm on Saturday.

Crews confirmed a gas leak as and entered the property wearing breathing apparatus and using a gas monitor to check the atmosphere. Crews also had one hose reel jet with them to provide safety.

They isolated both gas and electricity and located some solvents at the premises that were removed to the open whilst further investigations were carried out. Crews then used a positive pressure ventilation fan to vent the premises.

The cause was put down to petrol vapour in the basement.

 

More from Local News

Listen Live
On Air Now Radio Exe - Non Stop Playing I Gotta Feeling Black Eyed Peas