Listen Live

"Lucky escape" for family in Exeter fire

Barley Mount neighbour raises alarm

Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue say an Exeter family had a "lucky escape" from a blaze at their Barley Mount home after a neighbour raised the alarm.

The neighbour saw smoke coming from the ground floor of the two-storey house around 7pm onTuesday evening. As well as altering the household to the unfolding drama, enabling them to safely evacuate, they called 999 too.

Two fire appliances from Danes Castle in central Exeter were at the scene within minutes.

They were soon inside and located the fire in the ground floor kitchen involving a chip pan, cooker, cooker hood. The fire, which started accidentally, was extinguished by crew using breathing apparatus. A positive pressure ventilation fan cleared the property of smoke and a thermal imaging camera to check for hotspots.

The occupants are all safe and well.

More from Local News

Listen Live
On Air Now Through The Evening Playing All I Know So Far Pink