Listen Live

Red Cross helps Dunsford couple

Dunsford damage (courtesy Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue)

Fire severely damages their home

An elderly man and one other person have been helped by a British Red Cross emergency response team after the kitchen of their home on the edge of Dartmoor caught fire on Monday evening.

Fire appliances from Moretonhampstead, Chagford and two from Danes Castle in central Exeter were sent to the property at Dunsford around 7.30 pm where smoke was billowing from the kitchen.

The two occupants were out of the building, but because the man was suffering from minor smoke inhalation, paramedics were called. The fire was  was well alight and a propane cylinder inside had to be cooled with water jets.

The kitchen and ground floor of the property have been severely damaged, but the man didn't need to go to hospital. The blaze started accidentally.

More from Local News