You are viewing content from Radio Exe Plymouth. Would you like to make this your preferred location?
Listen Live

Disappointing Torquay United dumped out of cup

Hereford vs Torquay United

Hereford halt United's FA Trophy progress

Torquay United’s much-publicised injury woes were laid bare in this disappointing FA Trophy defeat at Edgar Street.

With the Gulls squad already stretched to breaking point, United unveiled new signing Duane Ofori-Acheampong an hour before kick-off. The striker had a useful spell at Plainmoor in 2015 and manager Gary Johnson has high hopes that he will bring goals.

But that will have to wait a while, as his second Gulls debut lasted just over two minutes before he went down with a hamstring injury and could take no further part in the game.

The setback set the scene for a frustrating afternoon for the 267 Torquay fans who made the trip to Hereford.

The home side - fifth in National League North - started well, and had already had a goal disallowed before they took the lead in the 18th minute when Tom Pugh curled a delightful free kick beyond the reach of Torquay keeper Mark Halstead.

Hereford had hit the post as well, before they made it 2-0 from a penalty after Archie Harris manhandled Lassana Mendes. Yusifu Ceesay scored from the spot.

From then onwards a lacklustre Torquay never looked like getting themselves back into contention. 

In the second half they found themselves so bereft of attacking options that they had to pair midfielder Asa Hall and centre back Ross Marshall up front. The duo won plenty in the air but had no team mates around them to pick up the scraps.

Hereford keeper Curtis Pond - a Paignton lad - had little action to keep him warm while at the other end Halstead made some smart saves to keep the score down.

Next Saturday sees Torquay at home to National League South strugglers Dover in a game which demands a response from United.

Johnson may have a couple of his injured players back for that one, but he and his coaching team have much work to do to lift their side from this debacle in chilly Hereford.


More from Local News

Listen Live
On Air Now Through The Evening Playing With Or Without You U2