Listen Live

Bomb exclusion zone extended in Plymouth

New Plymouth exclusion zone (courtesy: Plymouth City Council)

Another 100 metres has been added to the cordon

A cordon has been extended around an unexploded World War II bomb in Plymouth.

Police were called to St Michael Avenue at 10:36 on Tuesday morning where a 200 metre cordon was put into place shortly after. The zone has been extended to 300 metres this morning.

It’s thought at least 1,200 residents have already been forced out of their homes.

Overnight, residents who had already been evacuated were able to collect more essentials overnight. Devon and Cornwall Police have told people in the new cordon to collect enough clothing and prescriptions for 36 hours.

Plymouth City Council says the Life Centre will be open to accommodate people and as a hub for residents to get support. Anyone who doesn’t have access to their own transport will be able to use shuttle buses which are running every 15 minutes from Wolseley Road, Saltash Road and St Levan Road.

Ordnance disposal experts are to begin work to make the device safe. They say nothing has been ruled out so far in terms of how to deal with it.

More from Local News

Listen Live
On Air Now Through The Evening Playing Year 3000 Busted