Listen Live

MP marks Mecca’s card over Exeter bingo hall closure

Wednesday, 20 May 2026 16:38

By Guy Henderson, local democracy reporter

Exeter MP Steve Race (left) during a visit to Mecca Bingo in Exeter (Image courtesy: Steve Race)

22 jobs at risk

Exeter’s MP has urged entertainment giant Mecca to think again over plans to close its bingo hall in the city.

Labour MP Steve Race says the Mecca Bingo in North Street is an important community hub for disabled, older and lonely people.

Mecca says its lease on the building is coming to an end and it would need ‘significant maintenance’ to keep it going. It could close early next month.

Mr Race has now written to the chief executive of the Rank Group, which owns Mecca Bingo, expressing serious concern over plans to close a venue that has served local bingo players since 1963.

He highlighted the significant social value the venue has for people across the city and beyond, particularly in helping to combat loneliness.

And, he said, the Exeter site is more than a leisure venue, describing it as a community

hub that supports a wide cross-section of residents including older people seeking social interaction, disabled customers who attend with carers, and students looking for affordable entertainment.

Mecca cites financial challenges including the cost of installing a new disabled lift and replacing flooring, but Mr Race said he had spoken to staff who believe there are viable alternative options which have not been fully explored.

Twenty-two staff members are currently at risk of redundancy, with limited opportunities for redeployment due to the absence of other bingo halls in the area.

“If the closure proceeds, there will be no bingo halls remaining in Exeter, with the nearest located in Torquay and the closest Mecca Bingo venue in Swansea,” said Mr Race. “I am concerned that within two months of plans being announced, Exeter residents will be out of a job and without a clear path back into a role where they could utilise their skills and experience.

“Moving bingo out of Exeter would not just cost local jobs, it would also hit loyal customers at risk of social isolation – older residents and those with disabilities – the hardest.”

Mr Race has requested a meeting with Mecca Bingo leadership to discuss the proposed closure, explore potential alternatives and seek clarity on support for affected employees.

When the closure of the Exeter hall and another in Taunton were first discussed earlier this month, a spokesperson at Mecca Bingo said: “The proposed closures relate to venues that have not been commercially viable for some time.

“Our leases on both Exeter and Taunton are reaching an end and both venues require significant maintenance, which makes it challenging for them to remain open.

“These are difficult decisions, but we are working hard to ensure we have a sustainable estate of vibrant community clubs.

“We are currently in consultation with affected colleagues and will advise our team and our customers once a final decision is reached early next month.”

More from Local News

Listen Live
On Air Now Ashley Jeary Playing Reasons To Be Cheerful (Part 3) Ian Dury & The Blockheads